Obtaining Residence Permits in Turkey: A Hassle-Free Guide
Residence permits in Turkey have become more accessible and convenient, especially for property owners. The new law allows property owners to automatically receive a residence permit, which is initially valid for one year. After this period, you can reapply, paying the required fees at that time. In this article, we’ll explore the process of obtaining a residence permit in Turkey and highlight the key requirements you need to know.
- Duration Options: You can purchase a residence permit for any period between 1 to 60 months. However, when applying for the first time, you must opt for a minimum of 6 months, which may be limited to a maximum of 12 months.
- Valid Passport: Your passport must have a validity period that matches the duration for which you’re applying for a residence permit.
Documents Required for the First Application:
To begin the process, you’ll need to gather the following essential documents:
- Passport Photos: 5 recent passport-sized photos.
- Passport: Your original passport.
- Passport Photocopies: Copies of specific passport pages, including the page with your photo, the page stamped at your last entry to Turkey, and the page indicating the validity and expiry dates.
- Turkish Tax Number: Obtain a Turkish tax number, which you’ll need for paying the required fees at the local tax office.
- Cash Payment: Ensure you have the correct amount in cash to cover the fees.
- Property Documentation: Provide a photocopy of your Tapu (property title deed) or rental agreement. Each applicant should have their documentation.
- Financial Proof: Note that in some Turkish districts, you might be required to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds in a Turkish bank or a monthly income to support yourself throughout the permit’s duration.
The Application Process:
Here’s a step-by-step breakdown of the application process:
- Online Appointment: Start by making an online appointment through the official Turkish immigration website: http://www.goc.gov.tr/Main/. This step is crucial to streamline your application.
- Visit Local Immigration Office: On the appointed day, visit the local Turkish immigration office in your district. Present your documents and specify the duration of the residence permit you wish to obtain. The officer will provide you with a form for the Tax office.
- Pay the Fees: Head to the Tax office to pay the required fees. Ensure you obtain a receipt as proof of payment.
- Complete the Form: Return to the immigration office, where the officer will give you a form to fill out in English. Complete the form and submit it, along with your other documents and the receipt from the Tax office.
- Document Verification: The officer will thoroughly check all your documents, complete the form if necessary, and inform you of when to return. Typically, this takes 1 or 2 weeks, depending on their workload.
- Collect Your Permit: When you return to the immigration office to collect your permit, don’t forget to bring your passport.
With these straightforward steps, you can secure your residence permits in Turkey, making it easier to enjoy the beauty and culture of this incredible country. Whether you’re a property owner or looking to experience Turkey’s unique charm, the process is now more straightforward and accessible than ever.